With so many injured and rehabbing players, the St. Louis Cardinals are now releasing medical statements as to their status. The current M*A*S*H list includes four starting pitchers, two relievers and an outfielder.
Beyond the basic report provided by the team, the comments and ratings are mine.
Green = player progressing toward return on his predefined schedule
Yellow = status unclear – return timing undefined
Red = new problem - impact unknown
* JOEL PINIERO - right shoulder capsulitis - progressing well and plans to throw a bullpen session on Monday. Timing of return to action unclear, but with only three spring innings in one game, being ready to start the season seems less likely with each passing day. Code = yellow.
* MATT CLEMENT - throwing session to hitters Sunday. May pitch in a spring training game and may not. No way of gauging his effectiveness on return from major shoulder surgeries until he actually pitches. Code = yellow.
* MARK MULDER - throwing a bullpen Sunday. Return estimated for May. Code = green.
* CHRIS CARPENTER - scheduled for bullpen session on Monday. Possible July return. Code = green.
* JOSH KINNEY - throwing a bullpen Sunday. Reported to be a week or two behind Mulder. Code = green.
* TYLER JOHNSON - left shoulder tendinitis - will be examined by head team physician Dr. George Paletta on March 20. Some concern over this situation. Will certainly not be ready to start the season. Code = yellow.
* JUAN GONZALEZ - left abdominal
strain - MRI will be read on Monday. Falling behind in the outfield derby.
If he doesn't make the club, he will be forced to deal with an assignment to
Brian Walton can be reached via email at email@example.com.
© 2008 stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed.